Sunday, May 16th, 2010

Busy day today. We went to church, then Eva has irish dancing, then I have book club and by the time I get home, it'll be close to 5 and time to make dinner. So this is what I did.
For breakfast, we had peanut butter toast. I got up late and had nothing in the freezer to give them and it was FAST! Actually made it to church 10 minutes early!
We came home and while the kids were playing, I took the brats out of the freezer to thaw in the microwave. I put water on to boil for the Mac & Cheese. I threw some chicken breast carcass' I've been saving for soup into the soup pot, filled it with water, and put it on the back burner to do it's things. Then I made up some brownie batter, put it in a flan pan, and put it in the oven to bake. Then I took some hot dogs out of the fridge and microwaved them for a minute and a half. The brats were thawed, so I took them out of their packages, put them into a gallon size baggie, poured in a bottle of beer and some onions, sealed the baggie and put them in the fridge to marinate. By now, the brownie was done, so I pulled it out of the oven and set the time to 10 minutes to let it cool. I plated the kids food, washed their hands, and they sat down to eat. Now the timer's going off, so I run back into the kitchen to take the brownie out of the pan. Since they want me to put the cake under the broiler and I'm not sure if my plate can handle that, I take out my round pizza pan, put parchment paper on it, then flipped the brownie onto to it. Then I spread the marshmallow fluff in the indent (Note to self: Microwave the fluff for 30 secs, it'll be easoer tp spread).  I then sprinkle Teddy Grahms (instead of grahm cracker crumbs) on top and broil it for a few minutes, just until a little brown on top. I set it aside, clean up the lunch table, and now it's time to take Eva to irish dancing. Are ya tired yet? I was, lol.
Went to bookclub, then to my mom's to help her out on the computer. Went home and took the brats out of the fridge. Preheated the oven for hash brown patties while I made German Potato Salad for Gerald and I. Put the hashbrowns in the oven while the brats cooked. Took out a bag of frozen corn, put it in my Pampered Chef cooker, added a couple of tablespoons of water and microwaved it for 5 minutes.  Everything was done within 5 minutes of each other and we sat down to eat!


I gave a bit of the German Potato Salad to the kids, but they didn't like it. Eva didn't like the brat, but I'm not surprised. EVERYBODY liked dessert!



Hot German Potato Salad
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hour 5 min
Makes: 6 servings (about 2/3 cup each) 


4medium round red or white potatoes (1 1/3 lb)
3slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1tablespoon Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1tablespoon sugar
1/2teaspoon salt
1/4teaspoon celery seed

Dash pepper
1/2cup water
1/4cup white or cider vinegar
1.Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water just to cover potatoes. Cover; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cook covered 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
2.In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet with slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
3.Cook onion in bacon fat in skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in flour, sugar, salt, celery seed and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat.
4.Stir water and vinegar into onion mixture. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat.
5.Stir in potatoes and bacon. Heat over medium heat, stirring gently to coat potato slices, until hot and bubbly. Serve warm.


Flan Pan
Pan Grease
Cookie Sheet
Cake Tester
Brownie Mix
7 oz. Jar of Marshmallow Cream
Crushed Graham Crackers


It is recommended to use 2-1/2 cups brownie batter in your Flan Pan.  A standard box brownie mix is the perfect size.  Prepare your Flan Pan with Pan Grease, or use solid vegetable shortening and dust with either flour or cocoa (no need for dusting if you use Pan Grease). Prepare mix according to package directions then measure out proper recommended amounts. Do not fill more than 1/2 inch from the top. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until a Cake Tester inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Using a small, plastic utensil to prevent scratching your pan (such as a plastic knife), loosen cake from edges and turn out onto a Cookie Sheet. Fill center with jar of marshmallow cream.  Put the brownie under the broiler for about 3 – 4 minutes, just until the marshmallow cream turns a golden brown.  Take out of oven and immediately cover with desired amount of crushed graham crackers.  Place finished dessert onto a serving plate.  Garnish with pieces of milk chocolate bar if desired.  Serves 8 – 16.

No comments:

Post a Comment