Strawberry Spinach Salad*
Parmesan-Herb Cornish Hens
Strawberry Angel Trifle
Preparation time: 15 minutes. Serves 8.
One 9 ounce package of baby spinach leaves (no stems)
1 1/2 cups of strawberries, sliced
1/3 cup almonds, toasted (we used the Honey Roasted Almond Slices)
3-4 green onions, sliced
White Balsamic vinegar (or Strawberry Balsamic vinegar)
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper Instructions:
- Toast the almonds on a pan in the oven at 300 degrees F for a few minutes (they brown quickly) or place the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat until toasted (shake the skillet a few times while over the heat to toast evenly)
- Make sure to remove any stems from the spinach and place the leaves in a salad bowl with the green onions
- Drizzle with a little olive oil (just enough to lightly coat the spinach)
- Rinse the strawberries just before tossing the salad, dry them and slice them
- Add the toasted almonds and sliced strawberries to the salad bowl and sprinkle with white balsamic vinaigrette to taste
- Add a little salt and fresh ground pepper and toss the salad and then plate
- Set up grill for indirect cooking: For gas grill, preheat all burners on high. Turn one burner off; place food over “off” burner. Reset remaining burner(s) to medium. Close lid. For charcoal grill, arrange hot coals around outer edge of grill; place disposable pan in open space; place food over open area. Close lid. Heat to medium.
- Wash hands. Rinse hens and pat dry. Lightly salt and pepper inside of hens. Secure wings to hens and tie legs together with string, if desired. Set aside.
- Blend Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, seasonings and onion powder in a small bowl. Rub hens with butter; sprinkle with Parmesan mixture, pressing lightly.
- Place hens (not touching) over indirect heat on grill. Wash hands. Grill hens, covered, 50 to 60 minutes or until done (internal temp 180ºF). Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Strawberry Angel Trifle Recipe
12-16 Servings Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.Ingredients:
1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix (I used a ready made one)
2 packages (3 ounces each) strawberry gelatin
3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar , divided
2 cups boiling water
5 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries, thawed and drained
2 cups heavy whipping cream (I used Cool Whip)
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions; cool completely.
- In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin and 3/4 cup sugar in boiling water . Mash half of the strawberries; add to gelatin mixture. Refrigerate until slightly thickened, about 1 hour .
- Slice remaining strawberries; stir into the gelatin.
- Cut cake into 1-in. cubes. Place half in a 3-qt. trifle or glass bowl. Top with half of the gelatin mixture. Repeat. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over gelatin.