Tuesdays this fall are crazy for me. Eva has an acting class in the next city over until 5:45pm and it takes me a half hour to get home. Dinner has to be ready when we walk in the door since Dad has choir practice at 7!  This is when I use my slow cooker.  For this recipe, I saute the onions and green pepper, then brown the steaks and then I put all of it into a slow cooker with the tomatoes. I make the roux when I get home. I use medium grain rice that takes 20 mins to cook, so I make it the night before so that all I have to do when I get home is to make the roux and reheat the rice. Serve with rolls (already made, lol).

GREEN PEPPER STEAK

1 lg. green pepper (coarse chopped)
1 lg. onion (chopped)
5 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 lb. steak
1 can beef bouillon
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 can tomatoes (303 size)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. butter (melted)

4 c. cooked rice

1. In large skillet heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Cook onion and green pepper until onion is soft and translucent. Remove and set aside.
2. Cut meat into 1/4 inch strips 2 or 3 inches long. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Brown in remaining vegetable oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add onion, green pepper and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Pour tomato juice from canned tomatoes into skillet. Cut up tomatoes and stir into skillet. Stir in soy sauce. Cover and simmer additional 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Make a roux by stirring flour into melted butter until dissolved. Stirring constantly, add roux to skillet and continue stirring until thoroughly combined. Over medium high heat, cook and stir constantly until smooth and thickened slightly.
Serve over hot cooked rice.

Since the kids will not eat green peppers if they are cooked, I sliced raw green peppers into bite size pieces. When I served the steak, the kids got a couple pieces of the steak, the rice with some butter on it, and some pieces of raw green pepper. For us, I put the rice on the plate first, then the green peppers and steak with sauce over the rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment