Busy, busy, Tuesday again. Gotta have something ready for when we come home as Gerald has choir practice at 7 and we're probably going to get home at 6:15 ish. Then I remembered the email I got from Gold n Plump Chicken and I was like "ooooh". It reminded me so of the Fall and some of the reasons that I like Fall - warm apples and cinnamon. I wrote the recipe as they wrote it, but honestly, I will probably just throw it all in the slow cooker, turn on the cooker, and walk away. I've never had any luck browning chicken with the skin off. It always seems so tough and dry afterwards, so I usually don't do it. I'll make the rice during lunch while the trips are in school, then just reheat it when we get home.
Cinnamon-Spiced Chicken with Apples and Raisins
Made in a Dutch oven, this autumn-inspired dish will fill your kitchen with delicious aroma.
Cuisine: Mediterranean Cooking Method: Stove-top (I'm doing it in a slow cooker)
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 35 minutes Yield: 8 servings
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package (3 pounds, 8 ounces) Gold’n Plump® Best O' Fryer
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
1 Granny Smith apple, cored, peeled, and coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup dark raisins
2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Combine cinnamon, cloves, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
2. Remove and discard chicken skin. Use your fingers to rub chicken with cinnamon mixture.
3. Heat oil in a 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken; cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned on all sides. Use tongs to transfer chicken to a plate or bowl. Add remaining chicken, onion, and apple to pan; cook, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned on all sides.
4. Return first batch of cooked chicken to pan. Stir in orange juice and raisins.
5. When liquid comes to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
6. Garnish servings with parsley.
PER SERVING • Calories 224 • % Calories from Fat 25% • Total Fat 6g • Saturated Fat 1g • Cholesterol 94mg • Sodium 239mg • Total Carbohydrate 11g • Dietary Fiber 1g • Sugars 9g • Protein 30g • % DAILY VALUE • Vitamin A 3% • Vitamin C 17% • Calcium 3% • Iron 9% • DIETARY EXCHANGES • Lean Meat 3 1/2 • Fat 1/2 • Fruit 1/2
Curly-leaf parsley may also be used if flat-leaf parsley is not available.
While the chicken is simmering, prepare basmati rice according to package instructions. Serve with prepared rice and warm pita bread.
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (with cheese and chives), sausage, mini blueberry bagels.
After school snack: Apples and granola bars. Since Eva has such a long class, I'll do what I did last week and pop some popcorn and bring the portable dvd player so we can watch a movie.