10/31
Lunch: Jack O'Lantern Quesadillas, peach fruit cup, italian pasta salad, pumpkin candies.
     The kids LOVED their lunch - they thought it was SO cute!!


 This was our dinner for All Hallows Eve (aka Halloween). Dad made a campfire in the backyard and the kids practiced throwing a football through a tire while I got dinner on the table. Kind of hectic since Eva had swim team until 6:30pm!! As you noticed, I made something COMPLETELY different that what I planned and it was because when I told hubby what I was going to make, he wrinkled his nose and said, "yuck, sounds too gross to eat!"  So I saw this and said, "Yes! My kids eat stuffed peppers! I'll do this!" And I found orange peppers on sale at the Piggly Wiggly too - whooo hooo!! Before I left the house, I put some apple cider in a slow cooker with cinnamon sticks and cloves. I also put the peppers in the oven on 250 so they would be done when we got home. I made the spiders during the day and yeah, it was kind of a pain! Especially when I found out that NONE of my kids like black olives (REALLY!! since when?) and Eva said she doesn't like deviled eggs! sigh. So, while it was cute (and tasty), I won't be making them again!  The stuffed peppers were DELISH! Here's where I got the idea from: Jack O Lantern Stuffed Peppers.


The recipe that I used:
1 1/2 lb ground beef
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 T basil
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt and pepper
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce

Using my hands, I mixed it all together, then stuffed the peppers. I put them into the pan that had some spaghetti sauce on the bottom. The leftover meat mixture I made into meatballs and placed them in the sauce.  I then covered the pan with tinfoil and baked at 250 degrees for several hours.


     So, when I got home, I poured some hot apple cider into mugs and gave them to the kids outside while they played. I steamed some cauliflower, then tossed them in butter and parmesan cheese.  While I was finishing the cauliflower, the kids were eating the eggs (umm, sorta, lol). Then we ate dinner and it was back outside to enjoy the fire with some hot apple cider and doughnuts (aka Soul Cakes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment