Tuesday, March 22nd, 2011

Breakfast: Blueberry Pancakes, (Me: Blueberry Rice Pudding)
Eva's Snack: String cheese, green pepper strips, tortilla chips
Lunch: Black Bean Lettuce Bundles, oranges (S)
Snack: gold fish (Me: popcorn, Apple slices)
Dinner: Jerk Chicken crescents, sweet potato fries
Last night, after dinner, I made the brown rice for the pudding. I made Eva's snack while she was eating breakfast, chocolate chip pancakes (again!). I dropped Eva off at school, came home and made the pudding. I stirred in some frozen wild blueberries and let them thaw while I made the triplets their pancakes. I found Aunt Jemima's Whole Wheat Blueberry Pancake mix and I used the two cup recipe, adding some cinnamon to it. The pudding was good, but the next time, I'll add some vanilla to it. The Black Bean Lettuce Bundle filling I made last night as well, so this morning, I just shook the container to evenly distribute the seasonings. I put the filling in the lettuce during lunch and I have to say, not doing that again! The filling was really good, but it was too messy eating it in a lettuce leaf. I did have great success using some tortilla chips and that's they way I'll eat it from now on. For dinner, I was a little rushed because Eva got out of her class at 5 and when we got home, somebody had to go potty, someone needed their water filled, etc. etc. But the sandwhiches went together fairly easily and quickly. I cooked the sweet potato fries while I was making the sandwhiches. I did have to google how to make Jerk Seasoning, because I didn't have any!! The only kid who ate it (and liked it) was Joey. He and Eddie have been switching roles - now Joey will eat just about anything and Eddie is refusing to eat things!! sigh Hubby thought they were AWESOME and said he thought I had bought them at the store! (thanks, I think, lol) But I will make these again and I'll use this seasoning mix on chicken and see if the kids will eat them that way.
*****

Blueberry Breakfast Rice Pudding

PointsPlus™ Value: 7
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 15 min

Ingredients
1/4 cup(s) sugar
2 cup(s) fat-free skim milk
1/4 tsp table salt
3/4 cup(s) fat-free egg substitute
2 tsp lemon zest*
1 1/2 cup(s) cooked brown rice
2 cup(s) fresh blueberries

Instructions

* Combine sugar, milk and salt in a medium pot over medium-high heat; bring to a simmer.

* Place egg substitute in a bowl and add 1/2 cup of milk mixture to eggs; beat to warm up egg mixture. Add egg mixture to pot with remaining milk mixture; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is consistency of pancake batter, about 7 to 8 minutes.

* Stir in zest and rice; cook over low heat to warm, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and divide among 4 bowls; top each with 1/2 cup of blueberries. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

(* I didn't use the zest, but 1 tsp cinnamon. I also stirred in some frozen wild blueberries and let it sit while I made the kids pancakes)

Black Bean Lettuce Bundles
PointsPlus™ Value: 2
Servings: 4 Preparation
Time: 12 min
Ingredients
1 cup(s) canned black beans
1/2 cup(s) cooked corn kernels
1/2 medium sweet red pepper(s), seeded and chopped*
4 medium scallion(s), sliced
1/4 cup(s) cilantro, chopped*
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp Durkee Ground Cumin Seed, or other brand
1 clove(s) garlic clove(s), chopped (medium)
1/2 tsp table salt
1 head(s) Boston lettuce, washed and seperated into leaves
(*I didn't use these. I used a green pepper, seeded and chopped)

Instructions

* In a medium bowl, mix the black beans, corn, bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, lime juice, oil, cumin, garlic and salt. Refrigerate, covered, until the flavors are blended, at least 1 hour.

* Place a lettuce leaf on a work surface and fill with about 1/3 cup of the bean mixture; fold up burrito-style. Repeat, using all the bean mixture (save any extra lettuce for a salad).


Caribbean Jerk Chicken Crescent Sandwiches Recipe
1 1/4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup coarsely chopped purchased roasted red peppers
3/4 teaspoon Caribbean jerk seasoning #
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 can Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Dinner -- (8-oz.) Rolls
1 egg white -- slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon sesame seed

Heat oven to 375°F. In medium bowl, combine chicken, onions, peppers, jerk seasoning and soy sauce; mix well.

Separate dough into 4 rectangles; firmly press perforations to seal. Spoon 1/2 cup chicken mixture onto half of each rectangle. Fold dough in half over filling; press edges together. Seal edges with fork; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Brush tops with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seed.

Bake at 375°F for 15 to 18 minutes or until deep golden brown.

4 sandwiches.

Note: We also add cheddar cheese to the inside of these. My dh loves cheese on everything. I make my own dough instead of buying the crescent dough so that I can make several and freeze without spending $20 on crescent dough.


# Jerk Seasoning
2 Tablespoons dried onion
2 1/2 teaspoons Thyme
2 teaspoons allspice
1 teaspoons pepper
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
3 Tablespoons Smoked Paprika
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
Mix together and use

No comments:

Post a Comment