Monday, Mar 14th, 2011

Breakfast: cheerios, bananas
Lunch: Quick Mac & Cheese, hot dogs
Snack: pretzels
Dinner: Leftover Turkey & Rice Casserole

Well, today is the first day of Spring Break, which is weird because it is NOT Spring nor Spring-like outside, and Easter isn't for another month!! Dad took off this week to be home too, but it's more like he's working from home, sigh. So I got to sleep in this morning, but because of Daylight Savings time, I was strolling down the stairs around 10!! oops! The oldest served herself Cheerios, but didn't bother to serve the others, grrr. So I hurried up and made some Quick Mac & Cheese with hot dogs for EVERYBODY, but Dad. Since he doesn't like mac & cheese, I went into the freezer and pulled out a bowl of chili for him. After it was reheated, I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Then I kicked the kids outside so I could work on my menu for the week. (Hey, it was 42 outside, lol) I decided to make this casserole for tonight to use up the turkey, rice, and broccoli that we had leftover from yesterday's dinner. The thing of it was, I looked at the ingredients, NOT at how it was prepared. When I went to make it, I was like "oh no, that's just not going to work for us". So, I redid the recipe. And Dad & I thought it was AWESOME!! The kids, not so excited about it! Eva and Joey picked out the turkey, left the rest. Eddie and Ella didn't even touch it! The kids ate several pieces of bread that I had made. I had had a coupon for Pillsbury's Simply Rustic French Bread. I cooked it in my Pampered Chef Valtrompia Bread tube. Since the bread cooked at 350 for 30 mins, I was able to cook it with the casserole.

Leftover Turkey and Rice Bake

Turkey and rice bake recipe, made with broccoli, turkey, cooked rice, cheese, seasonings, and a bread crumb topping.
Cook Time: 45 minutes Total Time: 45 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
  • 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3 or 4 tablespoons dried onions
  • turkey slices, 6 to 8 large slices, cubed
  • 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon melted butter
Preparation:Combine the rice, dried onion, broccoli, cubed turkey and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Combine the soup and sour cream then stir into the rice and vegetable mixture. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11x7-inch baking dish.
Toss bread crumbs with butter and sprinkle around edge of casserole. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until hot and browned around the edge.
Serves 6.

Idea from: http://southernfood.about.com/od/turkeycasserole/r/bl50804c.htm?p=1

No comments:

Post a Comment