Wednesday, Nov 10, 2010

Today we ate:
Breakfast: Cheerios with bananas
Lunch: Beef Ravioli's
Dinner: Garlic Parmesan Chicken with rice and green beans
Eva's Snack: Strawberry Go-gurt, celery with peanut butter, whole wheat Ritz crackers.
In case you're wondering, Eva eats in a rut. Trust me, this is the girl who HATES all breakfast food and it was near impossible to get her to eat breakfast, until the 2nd week of school this year when I said yes, she could have a bean burrito for breakfast (because I was sooo tired of fighting!) And she's been eating one every morning since! (and has been doing really good in school, too!) And since she doesn't drink milk, I give her her favorite (hfcs free) yogurt and a piece of string cheese. She wants goldfish and Ritz crackers and I make sure they're whole wheat or whole grain. I can't be too adventurous with her or she won't eat, sigh. So yeah, they can be boring, but it reminds me of what worked, what didn't, and what I did yesterday, lol.

I changed lunch because I was out of mac & cheese, but thankfully had beef ravioli's! Then hubby called to say he got paid today, since tomorrow is a bank holiday. Yeah! Because I didn't have enough chicken for tonight's dinner (thought I did, but when I went to get it out, I didn't!) So I went to the grocery store to get those (and they were on sale, whew!) and some panko bread crumbs, which were also on sale. Got the chicken, but not the panko, since they were out. And this ended up being a good thing. I toasted 6 pieces of whole wheat bread, then processed them in the food processor. I stopped before they became dust. I also put the breaded chicken on a cooling rack in the 13x9" pan, because I HATE it when the bottom's are soggy and the top is crisp!! Well let's just say, they were AWESOME!! I did 7 breasts and should have done 14 because EVERYONE wanted more, including Miss Picky!! Joey and Ella, who don't eat a lot, ate a whole breast and wanted more! I am definitely keeping this recipe!
(By the way, I made brown rice and I don't know how you make it, but my kids love the way I make it. For the 6 of us: 2 cups brown rice, 4 1/2 cups water, 2 teaspoons chicken broth granules, 2 tablespoons olive oil. Put in a microwave rice cooker and cook for 30 minutes.)

Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 45 Minutes Servings: 6

"A wonderful baked chicken recipe that's quick and easy! Using just a few handy ingredients, create a delicious main dish, that also makes great leftovers - if there are any! Serve with a salad and rice for a quick, scrumptious dinner."

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
6 slices whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, then place a cooling rack in the pan and spray with non-stick spray.
  2. Toast bread. Place toast in food processor and process until it’s large size bread crumbs (you don’t want dust).
  3. In a bowl, pour the olive oil. In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, basil, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the oil mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. (I pressed down on each side to make sure I had a good even coating).
  4. Arrange the coated chicken breasts in the prepared baking dish, and top with any remaining bread crumb mixture. Spray with non-stick spray, then gently turn over and spray that side.
  5. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment