Tuesday, Oct 5th, 2010

      (pictures to come, gotta figure the picasa thing!)
                                                       
2010-10-05_001


Eva's Snack: Pretzel Thins, Swirled String Cheese, Steamed Crisp broccoli, 2 M&M Peanut Butter (not suppose to have candy! oops, lol)





Breakfast:  Scrambled eggs with cheddar and chives, cinnamon raisen bagels
Lunch: leftovers, kids in school
Dinner:  Chicken Italianio with rice

We had a really busy afternoon and I needed to have dinner waiting so Gerald could eat and go to choir practice while we were at a funeral and be waiting for us when we came home. I decided I wanted to do chicken in the slow cooker, but didn't want to do cream of mushroom soup (which I like, but wasn't in the mood for). I then decided to use tomatoes and Italian seasoning and serve it over rice. This one I made up myself and I thought it turned out pretty good. The next time I make it, I'm going to drain the tomatoes, though.

Chicken Italianio

1 32oz can whole tomatoes; drained
1 18oz can diced tomatoes; drained
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken parts, defrosted  (I used 2 breasts and 6 drumsticks)

1. Open the can of whole tomatoes and drain. Pour into the slow cooker and using your immersion blender, purée the tomatoes into a sauce like consistency.
2. Open the can of diced tomatoes and drain, then empty into the slow cooker. Add the seasoning, then stir.
3. Place the defrosted chicken into the slow cooker, cover the lid, and place on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
4. Make your favorite rice - I used brown rice. I have a microwave rice cooker that I LOVE!! For two cups of brown rice, I had 4 1/2 cups water, 1 tablespoon of chicken flavor granules, couple of swirls of EVOO. Put in the microwave and cook for 30 mins.  Let sit for at least 15 min's before opening!
5. Place rice in bowl, place chicken on top, spoon sauce over the top.
6. Sprinkle with parmasean cheese, if desired

(Notes: Served Eva the rice and chicken separately, no sauce. Served Joey the same way, with sauce only on the chicken. Served Eddie and Ella with the chicken and rice and sauce - Ella ate it, Eddie didn't eat the rice (still! he has this thing about rice lately)                                    

No comments:

Post a Comment