Monday, Oct 18th, 2010

Today is Monday and I'm doing Meatless Monday! Today I'm trying a Bean and Rice Skillet, which I had to reinvent since I wanted to use brown rice and not instant white rice. I could've used instant brown rice, but didn't have any on hand. I really didn't think the kids would eat it, so I made extra rice and set it aside and some quesadilla's. The only kid who ate it and liked it was Eddie. Ella wouldn't even try it, but I figured as much since she has a deep aversion to cooked peppers (but will eat them raw! lol)
It was very good and I will make this again. Sorry no picture, I forgot! (And I think I need a better camera, since my photos don't come out as well as I want them to!)


Bean and Rice Skillet
(click for a printable recipe)

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup red pepper, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cans Bushs Chili Beans (I used mild)
1 can tomato sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp garlic powder
1 cup frozen corn

Directions:
1. Cook rice according to package directions. (For me: Measure 2 cups brown rice and 4 cups water into microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 mins, then let sit for 30 mins)
2. Swirl EVOO into pan 3 or 4 times. Turn heat to med-high, then add peppers and onions. Let cook until soft, about 8 mins.
3. Add the Chili beans (don’t drain!), the tomato sauce, corn. the seasonings and 3 cups of rice. Mix well, turn heat down to med-low and let simmer for 15 to 20 mins.
4. Serve with cornbread muffins


idea from: www.justbeanrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment