Breakfast: Cinnamon Sugar Muffins, pears
Lunch: Hot dogs and chips
Dinner: Fast Lemon Chicken
Eva's Snack: Strawberry Go-gurt, Goldfish crackers
Ever crave something in the middle of the week that you usually have on the weekend because it takes so long to cook? That was me. I was craving lemon and rosemary chicken, but had no time to make it. Until I saw this recipe. It came pretty close. For me, I'd add some more lemon zest, but it could have been my lemon. And the dinner rolls I made - OH! - those are going to be my go to roll recipe from now on! I got the recipe from one of those recipe card offers that you get in the mail. I have such a plethora of recipes to choose from on the internet (AND I don't have to store them!), why would anyone buy those cards?
Perfectly Easy Dinner Rolls (click for a printable recipe)
1 cup warm water (105 to 115 F)
2 pkgs active dry yeast (NOT Quick Rise)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1. Combine the warm water and yeast in a large bowl. Let the mixture stand until yeast is foamy, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in butter, sugar, eggs and salt. Beat in flour, 1 cup at a time, until dough is too stiff to mix (some flour may not be needed). Cover and refrigerate 2 hours or up to 4 days.
3. Grease a 13 x 9” cake pan. Turn the chilled dough out onto a lightly floured board. Divide dough into 24 equal-size pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth round ball; place balls in even rows in the prepared pan. Cover and let dough balls rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven to 375 F. Bake until rolls are golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Brush warm rolls with melted butter, if desired.
Break rolls apart to serve.
Makes 24 rolls
Fast Lemon Chicken & Rice (click for a printable recipe)
1 med onion
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
Onion powder, garlic powder
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 tablespoons minced)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 small pkg frozen peas and carrots
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 14 1/2oz can chicken broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest from one large whole lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1. In a microwave container, cook peas & carrots for 4 minutes, then drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, slice onion in half, then thinly slice. Add olive oil and butter to pan and when the butter is melted, add the onions. Cook for 3 minutes on medium heat, then add the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with onion powder and garlic powder. Just before the chicken is done, about 5 minutes, toss in the minced garlic. Cook until chicken is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine cornstarch, broth, lemon juice, salt, and zest until smooth. Add to skillet with rosemary sprigs and bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
4. Stir in rice and peas. Cook on low for 15 minutes, then cover and let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serves about 6