Chicken Fricassee for the Crockpot                                    
Makes 6 servings
4 to 5 pounds chicken, stewing, cut into serving pieces *
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon paprika
2 onions, sliced
1 stalks celery, sliced
2 carrots, pared and sliced
1 bay leaf
1 cup chicken broth
  --------------------
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup water
Parsley, chopped

Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Season with salt and paprika. Place sliced vegetables and bay leaf in crock pot. Place chicken on top of vegetables. Pour in chicken broth. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7 to 12 hours.
One hour before serving; turn to HIGH setting. Remove chicken pieces**; bone and return meat to the crock pot. Make a smooth paste of flour and water and stir into liquid in crock pot. Cover and cook until
thickened. Serve over hot mashed potatoes; sprinkle with chopped parsley.

* I used 6 legs, 2 thighs, and 2 breasts.  **I KNOW my kids won't eat this, so I took out 4 legs, wrapped them in foil and placed them in the oven on "Keep Warm". The rest of the parts I took off the meat, shredded it, and put it back in the crockpot.
So the kids had: 1 chicken leg, raw crinkle cut carrots, and mashed potatoes.  Dad & I had this over mashed potatoes and it was VERY yummy!! The picture above is actually leftovers that I heated up and poured over a baked potato. Still was VERY yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment