Well, today is MLK Jr day and the kids have a half day. What to do, what to do? I decided to take them to the zoo right after school gets out, so that means I need to feed them lunch.  I also have to think about what I'm going to bring and all the "What ifs....".  So, this is what I did to get ready.
    Things to pack:   diapers, wipes, camera, extra batteries, mini first aid kid, my medicine, portable dvd player (double checked that it was charged), and two movies (it takes us 45 to 50 mins to get to the zoo and I'd rather have them watch the movie than screaming and hollering!)  I also double checked my phone to see if it was charged, and it wasn't, so I plugged it in. I put this bag by the front door, then worked on lunch.
     For lunch, I planned on the following:
            Cheese sandwhiches
            Apple Fries
            Carrot Sticks
            Chocolate Cupcakes
I baked the cupcakes while I was packing the first bag. While the cupcakes were cooling, I made the apple fries and carrot sticks. I then made the cheese sandwhiches and cut them in half diagonally.  I frosted the cupcakes and added sprinkles. I packed everything in glad containers, put them in a softsided cooler, along with plates, forks, and napkins. then I put that by the front door.




I then filled a water bottle for everyone, put them in a plastic grocery bag, then scooped up the bags by the door and put them into the van.

When we got to the zoo, I just made plates up for each kid.  So we had a fun time at the zoo AND got to eat lunch.

So why did I go through all this? We're short of money, but I still wanted to make this day special. And I didn't have time to eat at home before we went to the zoo, since the zoo closed at 2:30 and Eva's doctor's appt was at 2. Yeah, it was a tight schedule, but I knew I could do it. And yup, it happened. We got to the zoo, had our lunch in the Big Cat House, got Eva to the Doctor's, went home and watched a movie on the couch. Whew! What a day!




For dinner, I just did macaroni & cheese with hot dogs. I was too tired to cook, lol!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment