|(Almost) Blackened Chicken Tacos|
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
1 Tablespoon black pepper
1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper*optional
3 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lime, cut in half
24 – 6” corn tortillas or taco shells
- Pre-heat oven to 425
- On a large plate, combine chili powder, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to make blackening seasoning. (To make it Almost, cut the black pepper in half, omit cayenne for less heat. Stir into 1 cup of flour.) Stir with a fork to combine.
- Cut your boneless, skinless chicken breast into strips. (Long strips work well with the taco shells!) Season the chicken strips with kosher salt on both sides. Press the chicken down into the blackening seasoning. Spray two cookies sheets with Pam. Place breaded chicken strips onto pan, leaving room to "breathe". Bake at 425 for 15 to 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top, if desired. ( I did not.)
- Fill each taco with chicken strip(s), sprinkle with cheddar cheese. When you have a plate full, (I had 6 on a plate) put in the microwave for about 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve as is or top with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, etc.